E. Spivey Gault
Spivey was born in Leland, Mississippi and practiced with a firm in Greenville, Mississippi for almost 20 years before moving to Paducah in January of 1990 and opening a branch office of that firm. He joined Whitlow, Roberts, Houston & Straub, PLLC in May of 2013.
Over his career, Mr. Gault has defended inland river towing companies, other marine operations and their insurers in almost every type of maritime personal injury litigation possible, from Jones Act crew injuries to non-Jones Act/General Maritime Law personal injuries, from wrongful death and catastrophic injury to minor back and knee claims, property damage claims from collisions, allisions and unexplained sinkings involving commercial and recreational vessels. He has handled many cases involving the Shipowner’s Limitation of Liability Act.
In his transactional practice, Mr. Gault works with owners, purchasers, and financial institutions in preparing the necessary agreements and instruments for the Sale/Purchase, charter (fully found and bareboat), documentation or redocumentation and financing using Preferred Ship Mortgage for commercial vessels.
Mr. Gault was named a Kentucky Super Lawyer in the field of Transportation/Maritime. He has received the AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Licenses and Associations
- Mississippi Bar, 1972
- Kentucky Bar, 1990
U.S. District Court
- Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky
- Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
Eastern District of Oklahoma and Central District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals
Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and Tenth Circuits
- Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and Tenth Circuits
- U. S. Supreme Court
- McCracken County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Maritime Law Association of the United States (proctor since 1978)
University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 1972
Articles Editor, Mississippi Law Journal 1971-1972
- Articles Editor, Mississippi Law Journal 1971-1972
- Vanderbilt University, B.A. 1969
- Maritime Person of the Year, Port of Paducah Propeller Club 2004
- Co-Founder/Organizer, Paducah River Industry Crawfish Boil, 1990-present