Jessica Shay Morgan
Shay was born and raised in Paducah, Kentucky and is married with one daughter. She joined Whitlow, Roberts, Houston & Straub, PLLC as an Associate in 2015.
Shay worked for the Paducah Environmental Remediation Project for seven years. In this position, she handled negotiations and dispute resolution with subcontractors and the U.S. Department of Energy and served as subject matter expert for the Federal Acquisition Regulations and U.S. Department of Energy Acquisition Regulations.
She held a judicial externship with McCracken County Circuit Judge Craig Clymer in both civil and criminal courts. Shay was also a Taylor Mattis Fellow at the Southern Illinois University School of Law where she mentored and provided advice to first year law students. During her time at Southern Illinois University School of Law, Shay was voted Best Comment/Casenote Editor for the Southern Illinois University Law Journal.
Since February 2014, Shay was a law clerk at the firm of Whitlow, Roberts, Houston & Straub PLLC. She researched legal standards in various areas of law including medical malpractice, personal injury, maritime law, contracts, commercial law, real estate law and civil procedure, prepared legal memos, drafted motions and subpoenas and researched Kentucky Trial Decisions. She has been actively involved in writing business plans and operating agreements, and helping small businesses in Western Kentucky get started.
Licenses and Associations
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association, 2015
- McCracken County Bar Association, 2015
- Supreme Court of Kentucky, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, 2015
- Licensed to practice in Illinois
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, Jurisprudence Doctorate Degree, 2015, magna cum laude. She was the recipient of the Top 10 Award, the Academic Excellence Award, the Cali Excellence for the Future Award and was on the Dean’s List for five semesters.
- Southern Illinois University College of Business, Master of Business Administration Degree, 2015, concurrent program with her Jurisprudence Doctorate Degree.
- Murray State University, Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, 2004, honors diploma, summa cum laude. She was named Outstanding Senior Woman, awarded the Presidential Scholarship and was on the Dean’s List every semester. She also studied international business abroad at the University of Regensburg in Regensburg, Germany.
Publications and Presentations
- “Must the Corporation Pay for the Sins of the Employee after United States ex rel. Vavra v. Kellogg Brown & Root, Inc., 727 F.3d 343(5th Cir. 2013)?” SIU Law Journal, Spring 2015.
- “What Not to Say When Stepping Off of a Plane in Tokyo: a Comparison of American and Japanese Business Practices” (Murray State University Honors Thesis, 2004).
- Chair of the Murray Head Start Policy Council
- Worship Leader/Music Ministry at Lone Oak First Baptist Church
- Relay for Life Team Member and Leader
- Rotary Club of Paducah
- Paducah Citizens Advisory Board