Sharlott K. Higdon
Mrs. Higdon is a life-long resident of Kentucky. Prior to receiving her law degree, she enjoyed a successful career as the workers’ compensation coordinator for a large trucking company located in western Kentucky. She was responsible for claims and litigation management and applies this experience as an attorney defending claims for employers. Mrs. Higdon has practiced with Whitlow, Roberts, Houston & Straub, PLLC since February 2006 as an Associate and became a Member of the firm in January, 2012.
Mrs. Higdon has dedicated her practice to defending employers across Kentucky. She recognizes the challenges businesses face in today’s market from employment concerns to controlling workers’ compensation costs. Mrs. Higdon actively offers counsel to employers on workers’ compensation issues both prior to and after formal litigation.
Mrs. Higdon is an advocate for employers small and large. She provides counsel to employers and directs accident investigations with a purposeful focus on defenses in anticipation of litigation. Mrs. Higdon assists employers with case assessment, risk management, accident prevention, education and claims administration.
Mrs. Higdon regularly practices before Kentucky Administrative Law Judges throughout Kentucky, appearing at Department of Workers’ Claims hearing sites in Paducah, Owensboro, Bowling Green, Louisville and Lexington. She has also represented the interests of employers at the Department of Workers’ Claims hearing sites in Florence, London, Hazard and Pikeville, and also defends employers against claims presented under the Longshore & Harbor Workers Compensation Act. She has presented written argument on behalf of employers to the Workers’ Compensation Board, the Kentucky Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Kentucky.
Licenses and Associations
- Kentucky Bar, 2005
- United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- McCracken County Bar Association (Secretary/Treasurer 2008-2009)
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Four Rivers Society for Human Resource Management
- Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, J.D. 2005.
- Murray State University, Bachelor of Science 1993
Publications and Presentations
- Hostile Work Environment Disability Harassment under the ADA, 73 UMKC L. Rev. 715 (2005)
- Introduction to Kentucky Workers’ Compensation 101, Paschall Truck Lines, Inc. May 2008
- Kentucky Workers’ Compensation Claims and Risk Management”, Briggs & Stratton Corporation March 2010
- Kentucky Workers’ Compensation 101, Paschall Truck Lines, Inc. and OccuSure Claims Service, May 2012
- Introduction to Kentucky Workers’ Compensation, Sedgwick Claims Management (The Kroger Company), Cincinnati, Ohio September 2012
- United Way of Paducah-McCracken County Board and Executive Board, 2008-2014
- President, 2012- 2013
- Vice President, 2011 – 2012
- Campaign co-chair, 2010-2011
- 2016-2017 Leadership Paducah Foundation Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Graduate, Leadership Paducah Class 23